Happy new year!
That was just a whole lot of insanity over the past couple of months! Lots of good things happened. There were some pretty painful lessons too. I’m now in a position where I have no choice but to make sure that orders are paid for up front before I start working on them. I lost over $200 out of my grocery money during the Christmas season because people either “changed their minds” or just simply did not pick up their orders. It breaks my heart that I trusted people and ended up getting burned. I can’t do that anymore. I just don’t have the funds for that. I know my turnaround time was long because of what I have happening, but I did make it clear about what was going on. I’m fixing that too by only accepting orders when I know I’ll be able to get them out in a timely fashion (and if they’re paid for, you know darn well I’ll be sticking to that). I bit off more than I can chew. I’m burned out. I can’t and won’t do that again. I’m so upset about this that it may even get its own post. The intention would be to warn others about what happened. I can see now why payment up front is common practice in the art world.
Anyway, onward and upward…
My next spinning assignment is due on February 16th. The bulk of it is drop spindling and spinning yarn for a small article. I have purchased some Corriedale fleece for my small article. All I have to say is that I’m glad this isn’t the first fleece that I’ve processed because it would set an impossible bar for standards! I would walk past it while I was in the laundry room and I would just want to dive in. I couldn’t at the time though because of the orders. I’m so glad I can now!
I washed and dried the fleece while I was working on my Christmas orders. I’m on the winning end now as a result! In the past, I’ve worked well under pressure. The last assignment that I did was a slap in the face. I won’t be doing that again! I’m going to give myself as much time as I can. With that said, I’ve got my practice fleece carded and working on my first bobbin. I call it “practice” because if it doesn’t turn out, I won’t be frustrated. But heck, if I can get it on the first shot, go me!
I’m going to be challenging myself with my small article assignment. I won’t be doing the traditional “spin “s”, ply “z”” yarn. I’ve heard on a few different occasions that if you’re planning on spinning for a crocheted project, it’s best to spin “z” and ply “s”. This is my plan (thus the reason for the practice fleece). I’d also better get good at this method of spinning because my crocheting friends are excited about my yarny endeavours hehehe
Here’s some photos of the process I’ve done so far. When I get my small article done, I may just do a post about the beginning to the end. It still blows my mind how it goes from dirty fleece to something so beautiful!
This is just the beginning. I’m planing on dyeing the yarn before I work it up as well. I’m undecided about colours at this point, but I think it’s going to probably involve purple, pink and/or blue.